Sippy Sidhu (1980-2015) was an Indian national-level rifle shooter and a corporate lawyer. Sippy Sidhu was shot dead at a park in Sector 27 in Chandigarh on 20 September 2015. Kalyani Singh, his rumoured girlfriend, is alleged to have been involved in the murder case.
Sukhmanpreet Singh Sidhu was born on Thursday, 18 December 1980 (age 35 years; at the time of death) in Patiala, Punjab. His zodiac sign was Sagittarius. Sippy Sidhu attended Yadavindra Public School, Patiala, Doon International School, Mohali, Punjab, St Joseph’s Senior Secondary School, Bathinda, Punjab, and The Punjab Public School Nabha, Punjab. He graduated with a Bachelor of Laws (LLB) degree from Punjabi University, Patiala, Punjab.
Height (approx.): 5′ 10″
Hair Colour: Black
Eye Colour: Brown
Parents & Siblings
Sippy Sidhu’s father, Inder Pal Singh Sidhu, was the additional advocate general of Punjab.
His mother, Deepinder Kaur, is a homemaker.
Sippy’s younger brother Jasman Preet Singh Sidhu aka Jippy Sidhu works as a legal adviser to the Shiromani Gurdwara Parbandhak Committee.
Sippy Sidhu’s grandfather’s name is SS Sidhu who was a former Punjab and Haryana High Court judge.
It was rumoured that Sippy Sidhu was in a relationship with Kalyani Singh, daughter of Sabina Singh who was appointed as the acting Chief Justice of Himachal Pradesh in May 2022. Kalyani Singh is a lecturer at a college in Chandigarh. Sippy Sidhu’s family had close relations with Kalyani’s family and both knew each other since childhood.
Sippy Sidhu’s resided in 3B2, Mohali, Punjab.
Sippy Sidhu was a national-level rifle shooter.
While he was studying at Punjabi University, Sippy Sidhu represented Punjab at several shooting competitions for more than 15 years and won various medals.
On the basis of sports quota, Sippy Sidhu got posted in the Punjab Police.
Sippy Sidhu aspired to be a lawyer. To fulfil his career aspirations, he took a three-year leave from his police job and studied law. Sippy Sidhu was the owner of ‘Sippy Sidhu Law Firm’, which has its operational office in Mohali, Punjab.
Death – Killing of Sippy Sidhu
On 20 September 2015, Sippy Sidhu was shot dead at a park in Sector 27, Chandigarh. His rumoured girlfriend Kalyani Singh is accused of her involvement in the murder case. As per reports, the investigations revealed that one unknown assailant was accompanied by Kalyani Singh when Sippy was killed. On 21 September 2015, a local resident witnessed his body in the park and informed the police. Kalyani Singh was arrested on 15 June 2022 for her involvement in the murder of Sippy Sidhu. He was cremated at the cremation ground in Sector 25 West, Chandigarh. During the police investigation, Sippy’s mother accused a girl named Kalyani Singh of her son’s murder. Sippy’s mother mentioned that the police were hesitant to question Kalyani as she is the daughter of Sabina Singh, the acting Chief Justice of Himachal Pradesh and even misused her power to protect her daughter from the murder case. In an interview, Sippy Sidhu’s mother said,
I cannot forget him even for a second and will fight for justice till I am alive. The day he was murdered, Sippy had told me that Kalyani wanted to meet him. Ever since the murder, we have been saying that she is involved in killing my son, as we turned down her marriage proposal. She killed him,”
Sippy’s brother Jasman Preet accused Kalyani Singh and her family of creating false evidence. In an interview, he said,
We will be pressing for justice Sabina’s impeachment, as her daughter is a prime suspect in a murder case, so how can she be expected to deliver justice. We will be meeting the Union law minister to also seek action against her for shielding her daughter and creating false evidence. Kalyani’s family had supported her alibi that she was at a birthday party when the murder took place, despite evidence that she was present at the park,”
- Sippy Sidhu has participated in many shooting competitions along with the famous Indian shooter Abhinav Bindra. Sippy won a gold medal in shooting at the Punjab National Games in 2001.
- Sippy Sidhu had a keen interest in sports since childhood. He actively participated in Football and Cricket matches during his school and college days.
- Sippy Sidhu was appointed as the joint secretary of the Paralympic Committee of India. Sippy Sidhu organised various events to encourage youngsters to participate in sports.
- He was also called by the name Sukhmanpreet Singh Talwandi.
- Sippy Sidhu’s brother Jasman Preet Singh Sidhu, in an interview, revealed his family relations with Kalyani’s family and said,
My late grandfather, Justice SS Sidhu, was a former Punjab and Haryana high court judge and late father, IPS Sidhu, was the additional advocate general of Punjab. We had close relations with Kalyani’s family and she knew Sippy since childhood. But we refused her marriage proposal owing to her relationships with others. We had clearly told this to her family, but could have never imagined that it will result in Sippy’s murder.”
- As per the reports, at the time of the murder, a Maruti Zen car was spotted at the place with its last four digits “1183”.
- In 2015, Sippy Sidhu’s friends and family members organised candle marches to seek justice for him.
- As per the investigation reports, Kalyani contacted Sippy Sidhu on 18 September 2015 through a mobile phone of another person and compelled him to meet her in the park in Sector 27, Chandigarh.
- On 22 January 2016, a CBI probe was recommended by the Chandigarh administration in Sidhu Sippy’s murder case. Later, the case was handled by the CBI. In September 2016, CBI announced a monetary reward of Rs 5 lakh for providing any credible and relevant information in the murder case. In December 2016, the reward was increased to Rs 10 lakh.
- On 15 June 2022, Kalyani Singh was arrested from her house in Sector 42, Chandigarh by the CBI in connection with the murder case. As per the reports by the CBI, Kalyani Singh was found misleading and deceptive in Sippy’s murder case. In an interview, CBI revealed Kalyani’s intention behind the murder and said,
She wanted to marry him but her proposal was turned down by Sippy’s family. Sippy had leaked her objectionable photos to her parents and friends, which had caused embarrassment to Kalyani and her family.Certain lapses have been found on the part of Inspector Poonam Dilawari, then SHO of the Sector 26 police station, and Guriqbal Singh Sidhu, then ASP, in the destruction of evidence.”