Deepak Antani is an Indian-Gujarati actor and director who is best known for his performances as Mohandas Karamchand Gandhi in theatre plays and films including Gandhi Godse Ek Yudh (2023), Mujib: The Making of Nation (2022), and Gandhiji My Mentor (2016). He is known to be a Mahatma Gandhi lookalike and has essayed the very role in more than 20 short films, TV serials, 190 stage plays, and many documentaries.
Deepak Madhukant Antani was born on Sunday, 20 September 1964 (age 58 years; as of 2022) in Bhuj, Gujarat. His zodiac sign is Leo. He graduated with a Diploma in Electrical Engineering from Technical Education Board Gujarat following which he worked as an electrical technician at Indian Petrochemicals Corporation Ltd., Vadodara. He followed his passion for acting and got enrolled at Maharaja Sayajirao University of Baroda, Gujarat and earned a bachelor’s degree in Performing Arts.
Height (approx.): 5′ 9″
Hair Colour: Grey (Semi bald)
Eye Colour: Dark Brown
Parents & Siblings
His father’s name is Madhukant Antani and his mother’s name is Jaykumari Antani (deceased).
Wife & Children
On 23 June 1989, he got married to Deepti Antani, an HR consultant at Strategic Strides (as of 2022). Together they raised two children, a daughter, Falak Antani, and a son, Tathya Antani. Falak Antani is a freelance artist and Tathya is a business analyst.
C – 13, Nebula Apartment, Near Grand Bhagwati, S G Highway, Bodakdev, Ahmedabad (380054)
He follows Hinduism.
Theatre & play
On 20 June 2000, Deepak performed in a play ‘Sardar Patel,’ which he wrote for Sardar Vallabhbhai Patel’s 125th birth anniversary celebrations. His maiden venture enacting Mahatma Gandhi was through this play.
Later, he portrayed Gandhi in several Gujarati plays such as Yug Purush, Bander ki Atmakatha, and Janta ki Adalat.
In 2016, he made his acting debut with the Hindi film ‘Gandhiji My Mentor’ in which he portrayed the character of Mahatma Gandhi.
Later, he appeared in several films including Mujib: The Making of Nation (2022), Maare Shu (2022), and Pagal Kar Diya Toone (2019). In 2023, Deepak shared the silver screen with actor Chinmay Mandlekar and essayed the role of Mohandas Karamchand Gandhi in the film Gandhi Godse Ek Yudh. The film is set to release on 26 January 2023.
Deepak Antani has played the role of Mahatma Gandhi in short films including Jawab La Jawab, Gandhiji Ni Garima, Mahatma ke Mahatma, and the Jang-e-Azadi by Shyam Benegal productions.
He laid the role of Gujarati driver in an episode of the TV series The Family Man (2019). Later, he appeared in the series Crime Patrol, Antral, and Ajab sas ki Gajab Bahu on Mubu TV.
In 2000, he made his directorial debut with a Gujarati film titled Bhav Bhav Na Bharthar.
Later, he directed several Gujarati films including Thank You Boss (2022), Pritam Apni Paheli Prit (2017), and Dil Ma Vasto Desh. (2016)
Deepak Antani has directed more than 1000 episodes of Gujarati TV serials including Samvad, Sakhi, Sahiyar, Kadaksinh no haya darbar, Hasya Samrat, Kaki Bhare Paki, and Sankalp for DD Girnar.
After graduation, Deepak worked as a production assistant for thirteen years at Doordarshan. In 2001, Antani worked as a program producer for ETV Gujarati (now called Colors Gujarati) and worked there for two years. From June 2002 to September 2011, he worked with Shree Falak Films where he was majorly involved in the direction of films, TV Serials, live events, theatre plays, and documentaries. He also took part in acting and scriptwriting. In August 2011, Deepak was appointed as the channel head at Transmedia Limited. From August 2012 to August 2013, he was the chief operating officer at Pranami Broadcasting Limited in Ahmedabad.  He is a B+ grade artist at AIR Aakashwani, DD Girnar, and DECU – ISRO.
Antani worked as a program producer for the show Divadandi of DECU – ISRO and T’cast on DD Gujarati. Apart from this, he produced Gujarati songs by singer Mahesh Kanodia.
Literary works & Publications
Antani has published several articles in magazines and newspapers including Chitralekha magazine, Gujarati Daily, and Complete Cinema. He has also written stories for several award-winning Gujarati feature films, plays, and TV serials, wrote title songs for TV programs, and the anchoring scripts for several shows. He even prepared the coffee table book content for Dandi Kutir Museum in Gandhinagar.
Awards & Achievements
- 2004: Best Director for the film “Bhav Bhav na Bharthar”
- 2007: Best Director for the film Film “Kanku Purayu Maa Amba na Chok ma”
- 2013: Best Director for the film “Pritam Aapni Paheli Preet”
- 2019: Recognized as top 100 record holders of 2019 for the most number of Mahatma Gandhi-related performances by a Gandhi Look-alike India Book of Records
- 2019: Best Short film ‘Gandhi Hatya’ under the category of Ideals of Mahatma Gandhi at International Gujarati Film Festival, Los Angeles (USA)
- 2019: Best Actor for the short film Jawab La Jawab at L’age d‟’ or International Art House Film Festival
- 2020: Limca Book of Records for looking like the real Bapu in Gandhi’s costume
Happy to share one more Achievement. It’s *”Limca Book of Records”* now, After “India Book of Records – 2019”. Performing Character of Mahatma Gandhi has provided me many prestigious opportunities to work with @ShyamBenegal @RajkumarSanto12 #LimcaBookofRecords#mahatmagandhiji pic.twitter.com/nQOBb20F8q
— DEEPAK ANTANI (@ANTANID20) October 12, 2022
- He is fluent in several Indian languages such as Gujarati, Hindi, and English.
- Deepak Antani has also lent his voice as Mahatma Gandhi to documentaries and in many museums including Mahatma Gandhi Museum, Rajkot.
- In 2016, he received a special award for his play ‘Sardar Patel.’
- According to Deepak, he is an approved artist on All India Radio and Doordarshan. 
- Deepak appeared as a virtual Mahatma Gandhi during the “Walk with Gandhi” event at Rashtrapati Bhavan Museum in Delhi. The event was inaugurated by Pranab Mukherjee and Narendra Modi.
- Deepak was felicitated in the presence of an 8000 audiences for directing the team and enacting Mahatma Gandhi for the play Yug Purush (Mahatma na Mahatma). Deepak along with his team performed 166 shows in less than 240 days, covering approximately 100 plus places in Gujarat and Maharashtra.
- The Hindi Feature film Gandhiji My Mentor (2016) in which Deepak starred became the official selection for The Chandler International Film Festival (2016), the 5th New Jersy Film Festival (2016), New York Indian Film Festival (2016), MIAMI Independent Film (2016), and UK Monthly Film Fest (2016).
- From 16th to 22nd January 2019, Deepak Antani walked 150 km in 6 days as Gandhiji during the event ‘PadYatra’ starting from Manar village in Bhagwan Nagar district and ending at Lok Bharti Sansthan in Sanosara village, Gujarat. 
- He was an invited member of the Micro Committee for Film Subsidy Policymaking Gujarat Government.
- In 2022, Deepak Antani appeared in a music video for a song titled Jadu Salona by Amit Trivedi.